On September 20, 2022, National Voter Registration Day, organizations across the nation will be participating in a coordinated effort to get eligible citizens registered to vote.
It takes only a couple of minutes
You may register to vote in California, if you are:
- A U.S. citizen
- A California resident
- At least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not in state or federal prison for a felony conviction
- Not declared mentally incompetent by court action
You can pre-register to vote in California, if you are:
- 16 or 17 years old, and meet all the other requirements to vote
- You will be automatically registered to vote on your 18th birthday
Changed Your Address, Name or Political Party?
If you recently moved, changed your name or want to change your political party, you need to re-register to vote. You do that by completing a new voter registration application
. The Registrar of Voters office will recognize only your most recent registration, so you don’t need to cancel your previous registration unless you are moving out of the county.