The new facility will serve as the campus’ arts hub with an art gallery, media arts lab, and display area for student works.
WHAT: Groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of construction for the new Media Arts Complex at the Oceanside campus.
The new facility will support certificate and degree programs in the arts, including Art History, Digital Photography, Museum Studies, Studio Arts, and media arts and technologies, including Graphic Design and Digital Media. Demand for professionals in these fields continues to grow. The San Diego Workforce Partnership has identified digital media as one of the top career subsectors in San Diego County. The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment in arts and design occupations will grow four percent through 2030. About 94,500 arts and design openings each year, on average, are projected to come from growth and replacement needs.
The 10,471 square feet facility will include several unique features, including:
· Spacious new and museum-quality Art Gallery
· Media Arts lab
· Forty-person classroom
· Extensive spaces for displaying student artworks, both indoors and outdoors
· Dedicated spaces for students to study and collaborate
The $25.9 million building will also include ‘green’ design elements, including extensive use of natural daylighting, which research has shown improves student well-being and productivity. High-efficiency fixtures will be used throughout. Exterior and interior finishes will feature eco-friendly materials. Landscaping will include low-water and native species.
The building, led by the design-build partnership of HMC Architects and Balfour Beatty, is expected to be completed in the fall of 2024. MiraCosta’s capital improvement program uses funds from taxpayer-approved Measure MM.
Detailed information about all of the district’s capital improvement projects is available for public review through the Capital Improvement Dashboard on the MCCD website. The Dashboard provides build-out details, as well as financial and project schedule performance.
WHEN: Monday, February 27, 2023, 1 p.m.
WHERE: MiraCosta College, 1 Barnard Drive, Oceanside. Please park in Lot 2A, next to Campus Police, and adjacent to the construction zone. View map | Get directions Guests will be shuttled to the ceremony site.
· Construction and excavation equipment
· Demolition activities
· Ceremonial “scoop” with district and campus leaders and dignitaries
· Interviews are available with MCCD Superintendent/President Dr. Sunita Cooke, MCCD Board President Frank Merchat, and members of the project design and construction team
· Spanish speakers available
New Media Arts Complex Project Partners
· Design/Build Team: Balfour Beatty/HMC Architects
· Landscape Architect: Schmidt Design
· Civil Engineer: NV5
· Structural Engineer: Saiful Bouquet
· Electrical Engineer: P2S Engineering, Inc.
· Inspector of Record: Consulting Inspection Services (CIS)
· Program and Construction Manager: Kitchell, in association with Element Consulting and Vic Salazar Communications