Although we can't serve in person or gather to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., here are a few virtual ways that you and your family can continue his legacy of justice and service to others.
MiraCosta College has partnered with Cal State San Marcos for a virtual day of service, there are different virtual service opportunities, use this link to register
- Join the local North San Diego County (NSDC) NAACP, check out their website for membership information and other ways to get involved.
- Participate in the NAACP virtual walk, on your own time on either Friday, January 15 or Monday, January 18. Don't forget to tag MiraCosta Service Learning and NSDC NAACP Instagram.
- Attend the NSDC NAACP, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Virtual Community Celebration, register here.
Here are additional ideas to participate virtually with your family while sheltering in place and maintaining social distance.
- Visit the thekingcenter.org/events and join the virtual events.
- Donate to your local food banks or a non-profit organization, and post a picture indicating who you are supporting along with your favorite quote of Dr. King. Feeding San Diego or San Diego Food Bank are local organizations.
- MiraCosta's Service Learning currently partners with local non-profit organizations during the pandemic. See the list of service learning partners.
- Donate to MiraCosta's academic or scholarship programs, such as EOPS, Service Learning, Food Pantry and many more!
- Have your own family virtual walk--take a walk around your block, your local park, or use your treadmill/exercise machine. Take a photo or short video and share why you walk with others.
- Have your own beautification project--commit to picking up 18 pieces of trash around your community or local park. Make sure you wear gloves and a mask.
- Commit to helping someone in your household or immediate family. Practice serving others right in your home.
- Purchase a bouquet of flowers or gather flowers from your garden, write a note of kindness, and share with someone who isn't expecting them.
- Read your favorite children's book, a passage or quote of your favorite of Dr. King, or a passage from one of his speeches, and share them online and don't forget to tag the Service Learning Instagram account.
- Create a vision board with your personal dream or vision for this year, invite your friends and family to join you via zoom.
These ideas will hopefully inspire you to continue Dr. King's legacy, while being safe and practicing safe social distancing during the pandemic. We'd love to see how you celebrated Dr. King's Day of Service. Email email@example.com
and send your photos/videos or tag us on Instagram.