WHAT: Groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of construction for the new Theresia M. Heyden Hall for Nursing and Allied Health at the Oceanside Campus.
WHEN: Wednesday, April 27, 2022, 9 a.m.
MiraCosta College, 1 Barnard Drive, Oceanside. Please park in Lot 5A and head to the north end of the lot. View map
| Get directions
The new structure will provide training facilities, simulation spaces, including patient and operating rooms, and hands-on skills labs and classrooms outfitted with the latest healthcare technologies to support degree and certificate programs for several in-demand healthcare fields, including Nursing, Kinesiology, Nutrition, and Health Education, and careers in Medical Administrative Professional fields.
The 20,450 square-foot facility is named for Theresia M. Heyden
, who was a long-time Oceanside resident and philanthropist.
The $26.1 million Allied Health facility will include several unique design features:
- Innovative and high-tech simulation spaces that mimic real-world clinical settings, including patient rooms and operating rooms, to enhance the student experience and serve to strengthen healthcare cost efficiencies and patient outcomes
- Extensive use of natural light, which research has shown to improve student wellbeing and productivity
- High-efficiency fixtures will be used through-out
- Exterior and interior finishes will feature eco-friendly materials
- Landscaping will include low-water and native species
HMC Architects and Balfour Beatty Construction serve as the Design/Build team for the project. It will be part of the Oceanside Campus’ new Health and Wellness Academic Hub, including a new gymnasium complex, and a Kinesiology, Health, and Nutrition Studies (KHAN) Building.
Construction is expected to be completed in fall 2023. It is funded through MiraCosta’s capital improvement program using funds from Measure MM.
- Construction and excavation equipment
- Demolition activities
- Ceremonial “scoop” with District and campus leaders and dignitaries
- Interviews are available with MiraCosta College Superintendent/President, Dr. Sunita Cooke, MiraCosta College Board President Anna Pedroza, and members of the project design and construction team
- Spanish speakers available
Theresia M. Heyden Hall for Nursing and Allied Health Project Partners
- Design/Build Team: Balfour Beatty/HMC Architects
- Landscape Architect: Schmidt Design
- Civil Engineer: NV5
- Structural Engineer: Saiful Bouquet
- Electrical Engineer: P2S, Inc.
- Inspector of Record: Consulting Inspection Services
- Program and Construction Manager: Kitchell, in association with Element Consulting and Vic Salazar Communications