To be accepted to the Honors Program, we ask for one of the following in addition to the Honors Scholar Program application (see below):
- Unofficial college transcript with a GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Unofficial high school transcript with a GPA of 3.25 unweighted GPA or higher or successful completion of AP of IB coursework
- Names of up to two individuals who can comment/address the student’s academic potential for the Honors Scholar Program
- Evidence of Veteran status and up to two names of supporting Veteran Center staff that can comment/address the student’s academic potential for the Honors Scholar Program
- Provide to the Honors Scholar Program secretary, a portfolio that includes a sampling of items that demonstrate your academic potential. These items can include (but are not limited to) writing samples (academic papers, creative writing, journals, blogs, vlogs, etc.) artwork, performance pieces, news reports, multimedia presentations, etc. Upon receipt of the application, the coordinator will contact you to set up an appointment for a brief meeting.
NOTE: If a student cannot meet any of the application options, a student may use the ‘Appeal for Honors Admission’ petition process. Please contact the Honors Office for more information about the petition process.
Application for Honors Scholar Program
To apply to the Honors Scholar Program, you will need to complete two steps in sequence:
- Submit this application online
- Submit your unofficial college and/or high school transcripts to Honors with a pdf attachment or other separate method of delivery.
Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
Ethnicity (Your age or ethnicity have no bearing on acceptance to the Honors Scholar Program. This data is gathered for statistical purposes only)
Surf ID # (Note to New Students: If you don't have a Surf ID already, you may
leave this field blank and still submit your application)
(check all that apply)
Where do you plan to attend classes at MiraCosta? (check one)
Have you taken an Honors course at MiraCosta College?
If yes, which courses:
Why do you wish to apply to the Honors Scholar Program? (check your five top reasons)
How did you hear about the Honors Scholar Program? (check all that apply)
(unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Please check one:
* If you have completed college coursework at MiraCosta College, you may authorize the Honors Office to access your unofficial transcripts directly. If you wish to do so, check below.
For Students with College Coursework other than MiraCosta College:
Remember, it is your responsibility to secure your transcripts and deliver them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or separate delivery. Your application is not complete until your
transcripts have been received. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
Academic Integrity Statement
The Honors Scholar Program is a community of scholars who are committed to excellence in the learning process, and we assume that all students will pursue their studies with the utmost in integrity and honesty. Consequently, the Honors Scholar Program maintains a Zero Tolerance Policy toward academic dishonestly. All Honors students must know that incidents of academic dishonesty are unacceptable. Evidence of academic dishonesty will result in dismissal from the Honors Scholar Program.
Furthermore, the Honors Scholar Program requires all Honors students to abide by the Standards of Student Conduct as outlined in the College catalog and by Board Policy and Administrative Procedure 5500.
Please Review this Statement
Note: Only applicants who agree to abide by this statement will be considered
for acceptance to the Honors Scholar Program.
By submitting this application, and if accepted to the Honors Scholar
Program, I understand I must abide by the Standards of Student Conduct as
defined by Board Policy and Administrative Procedure 5500. I understand that I
am subject to dismissal from the Honors Scholar Program if I do not comply with
these standards of behavior.
Submit the Application
By submitting this application to the Honors Scholar Program, I certify that the answers I have provided herein are true and correct, and that I have not knowingly or willingly withheld any facts or circumstances which may affect my acceptance and/or participation in the Honors Scholar Program.